25 years of fun and games, and we're looking forward to many more
It’s been a great 25 years, hasn’t it? When we started out in 1989, we never imagined all of the fun and memories that were in store for us, and more importantly, for you.
We celebrate April 17 as our anniversary because that’s the day our first scratch ticket, Match Three, went on sale in 1990. Even though we’ve introduced over 950 scratch games since Match Three, our goal hasn’t changed: to provide you with a chance to win some money, and hopefully, to have some fun along the way.
Over 100 people have become millionaires in the past 25 years, and we’ve paid prizes out to millions more. Some of our favorite stats and memories include:
- Total sales: $10.2 billion
- Prizes paid: $6.1 billion
- Money back to the state: $2.4 billion
- Retailer commissions + incentives: $616 million
- First multi-million-dollar winner: Rita Oberg of Roseville won $18.4 million on Lotto Minnesota (which became Powerball) on November 26, 1990
- Largest Powerball jackpot winner: Thomas and Kathleen Morris of Burnsville won $228 million on August 10, 2011. They took the cash option of $123.6 million
- Largest Hot Lotto winner: Joe and Rhonda Meath of Bethel won $11.9 million on September 6, 2014
- Largest Gopher 5 jackpot winner: a 22-member Watonwan County Highway Department pool that shared a $2,032,201 jackpot on November 10, 2005
And so we thank you for being along for the ride. It's been a great 25 years, and we look forward to the next 25 to come!
Thank you for coming out to join us at Mall of America on April 17. We had lots of fun meeting up with some of our lottery fans and we made some new friends. We'll post the winners of the drawing for $250 Visa gift cards as soon as they are verified.
We were at Target Field on April 18 and it was crazy busy! We hope you all had as much fun as we did. Too bad the Twins didn't pull out a win. We'll post the winners of the drawing for $250 Visa gift cards as soon as they are verified.