Record Powerball jackpot run generates more than $20 million for state beneficiaries
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (Jan. 14, 2016) – While Powerball® jackpot winners in California, Florida and Tennessee celebrate their wins, the jackpot roll, which began on Nov. 7, 2015 and ended with last night’s record $1,586,400,000 jackpot, gives Minnesota plenty to celebrate.
- During this jackpot roll, Minnesota’s lottery players won $6,116,384 on 1,011,512 winning Powerball tickets.
- Minnesota Lottery retailers earned $2,946,267 from Powerball sales since the roll began.
- Powerball sales of $49,104,457 from the 20-draw run generated $20,722,081 for Lottery beneficiaries:
- $11,398,151 for the state’s General Fund
- $7,012,116 for the Environment & Natural Resources Trust Fund
- $1,155,907 for the Game & Fish Fund
- $1,155,907 for the Natural Resources Fund
Lottery players have won more than $6.3 billion since the Lottery’s inception. All Minnesotans are winners because $2.5 billion in proceeds have helped preserve, restore and protect Minnesota's environment in each of Minnesota's 87 counties. Lottery proceeds also help fund state programs including education, public safety, health & human services.
Play responsibly messaging to air throughout state
Sales set a new record
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (Jan. 11, 2016)—In response to the $1.4 billion estimated Powerball® jackpot, the Minnesota Lottery has purchased radio airtime to remind players that they should play responsibly.
In addition to radio spots, the Lottery will also be communicating this message through social media, its website and electronic billboards.
“Playing responsibly is such an important message that we want to be sure that it reaches our players,” said the Lottery's communications manager Debbie Hoffmann.
This is the message that will air: “The current Powerball jackpot has reached record-breaking levels. While this is exciting, the Minnesota Lottery encourages players to play responsibly. Players should never spend more than they can afford on any lottery ticket. Please remember, it's just a game.”
Sales in Minnesota for the Saturday, Jan. 9 drawing topped $13.1 million, breaking the previous record of $10.8 million, set on Nov. 28, 2012 for a $587 million jackpot. Saturday’s drawing produced 263,866 winning tickets in Minnesota, totaling $1.8 million in prizes, including one worth $150,000 and 10 worth $50,000.
The Jan. 13 Powerball jackpot is currently estimated at $1.4 billion, but that estimate will likely grow. The estimated cash option is $868 million.
The Powerball jackpot has been growing since Nov. 7, 2015. During the jackpot run, $30 million in sales has resulted in $6.7 million for Minnesota’s General Fund and $5.4 million to benefit Minnesota’s environment. Minnesota players have won more than $3.7 million since the jackpot run began.
Powerball jackpot climbs to $800 million
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (Jan. 8, 2016)—The Powerball® jackpot is now estimated at $800 million—and could get even bigger. The cash option for Saturday’s drawing is estimated at $496 million before required tax withholding. To put that into perspective, you would have to earn $238,461 an hour to make $496 million in a year.
Top 10 Minnesota Lottery Facts
10) Players have won more than $6.4 billion in prizes since the Minnesota Lottery started in 1990.
9) In 2015, more than 88,000 prizes were cashed in across the state every day.
8) When adjusted per capita, the “luckiest” city in Minnesota in 2015 was Elba (two big prizes totaling $201,000 were won on tickets purchased in Elba, which has a population of 152).
7) Minnesota is winning the Powerball border battle: Minnesota has had 22 Powerball jackpot winners, Wisconsin has had 15.
6) Minnesota’s biggest Powerball win was $228.9 million on Aug. 10, 2011. Minnesota’s most recent Powerball jackpot win was $149.4 million on Aug. 7, 2013.
5) As of noon today, the Minnesota sales estimate for Saturday’s Powerball jackpot is $9.9 million. The record is $10.8 million on Nov. 28, 2012 for a $587 million jackpot.
4) The Million Dollar Club: 121 prizes of $1 million or more have been claimed by Minnesota Lottery players since inception.
3) Minnesota’s three public zoos receive a portion of every dollar played on Lottery. The Minnesota Zoo, Como Zoo and Lake Superior Zoo are among the beneficiaries of the Natural Resources Fund.
2) Through the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund, Lottery dollars have supported projects that benefit Minnesota’s environment in every one of Minnesota’s 87 counties. Here are five ways Lottery dollars have benefited everyone in Minnesota:
- To help honeybees and other pollinators
- In the fight against Emerald Ash Borers
- To develop clean, renewable energy for Minnesota’s future
- Protecting and improving Minnesota’s water quality
- Minnesota’s state bird wins, too! The ENRTF-funded Minnesota DNR research of the impacts of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill on Minnesota loons is going to bring $39 million in settlement money to the state.
1) Everyone in Minnesota wins because more than $2.5 billion has been raised to help preserve, restore and protect Minnesota’s environment and to help fund state programs including education, public safety and health & human services through the General Fund.
Please visit the ENRTF’s Facebook page for more information on the projects listed above.
Powerball® jackpot soars into record territory
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (Jan. 7, 2016) — The Powerball jackpot has soared to uncharted territory for Saturday’s drawing with an estimated $700 million jackpot, the largest in U.S. history.
The record jackpot is creating a lot of excitement nationwide and right here in Minnesota. At the highest sales peak for Wednesday’s $528 million jackpot, tickets in Minnesota were selling at more than $8,000 a minute. That number is expected to grow leading up to Saturday’s 9 p.m. sales cutoff.
While there was no jackpot winner in Wednesday’s Powerball drawing, there were more than 110,000 winning tickets sold in Minnesota, including three worth $50,000 each. The initial jackpot for Saturday has already been raised from $675 million to $700 million and could increase again, depending on sales.
The Lottery is making every effort to ensure all 3,100 retailers across the state are prepared with extra ticket stock to keep up with player demand. The Lottery’s customer service department will also be staffed during special hours on Saturday to assist with the growing number of inquiries.
Since 1990, Minnesota has had 22 Powerball jackpot winners. Paul White of Ham Lake became Minnesota’s most recent winner when he stepped forward to claim a third of the $448.4 million jackpot from the Aug. 7, 2013 drawing. White selected the $86 million cash option.
To schedule an interview with Minnesota Lottery spokesperson Debbie Hoffmann, please contact the Communications department at 651-635-8271.
Two lucky ticketholders will start 2016 as $1 million winners
More than 4,000 Raffle winners announced
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (Jan. 1, 2016) – Two Minnesota Millionaire Raffle tickets are each worth $1 million! The winning tickets were sold in Hastings and Minneapolis. These tickets are just two of 4,164 winning Minnesota Millionaire Raffle tickets from this year’s drawing:
- Two tickets worth $1 million each were sold at SuperAmerica, 1847 Johnson St. N.E. in Minneapolis (ticket #119933) and at River Country Cooperative, located at 14610 E. 240th St. in Hastings (ticket #133082).
- Five tickets, each winning $100,000, were sold at the following locations:
- Ticket #041128: Cedar Diffley BP, 4205 Nicols Road in Eagan
- Ticket #150612: Holiday Stationstores Inc., 9705 Schmidt Lake Road in Plymouth
- Ticket #243334: Holiday Stationstores Inc., 6210 – 109th Ave. N. in Champlin
- Ticket #300470: Awad Company, 6501 Humboldt Ave. in Brooklyn Center
- Ticket #377755: Holiday Stationstores, 8500 Edinburgh Centre Drive in Brooklyn Park
- Five tickets are each worth $25,000. The winning ticket numbers are: 074637, 202308, 301609, 414131 and 596985.
- Ten tickets each won $10,000. The winning ticket numbers are: 054908, 140014, 195127, 196283, 246596, 286703, 317362, 447437, 481020 and 524234.
- One hundred tickets won $500 each.
- Four thousand tickets each won $100.
- Forty-two tickets won a bonus merchandise prize, including a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab (ticket #072436), 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE (ticket #016315) and a 2016 Ford Escape SE (ticket #535032).
Players can get complete list of the winning numbers here. Players can also sign the back of their ticket and check it at any lottery retailer.
Winners of the $1 million prizes, $100,000 prizes and Ford vehicles must claim the prize in person at the Lottery’s headquarters in Roseville. They should call the Lottery’s Communications office at (651) 635-8271 to make arrangements to claim their prize.
The $25,000 prizes, $10,000 prizes, $500 prizes, $100 prizes and all bonus prizes (except the vehicles) can be claimed at any Lottery office or by mail. Lottery retailers can pay the $500 prizes and $100 prizes if they have the cash available.
Players have until Jan. 3, 2017 to claim all prizes from the Jan. 1, 2016 Raffle.
One of the most exciting things about Raffle is that winning can create new opportunities and possibilities. Find out how $100,000 Raffle winner Katie Lewin turned her win into something even bigger.
Minnesotans have been waking up to big Minnesota Millionaire Raffle wins on New Year's Day for the past 10 years. Raffle players have won more than $29.5 million. All Minnesotans win because Raffle sales have generated over $20 million for Minnesota. Lottery retailers have earned more than $3.4 million in commissions and $100,000 in winning ticket bonuses since Raffle began.
Proceeds from the Minnesota State Lottery benefit all Minnesotans. Since 1990, the Lottery has raised more than $2.4 billion for state programs. The General Fund has received over $1.4 billion to help fund necessary functions such as education, public safety and health and human services. More than $1 billion has funded important environmental programs.
For more information about the Minnesota Lottery, visit www.mnlottery.com.